This article outlines how to publish to the Power BI Service, before you get started please ensure the following pre-requisites are in place:
- Ensure that you have a Microsoft PowerBI Pro licence. Your IT administrator can help with this.
- Your administrator has assigned you a Member or Contributor role within in a workspace in PowerBI.com (if you’re not an Admin yourself).
How to: Publish to the Power BI Service
- In Power BI Desktop, open the report you wish to publish. If prompted, enter your data warehouse credentials. Allow any refresh to complete.
- Select Publish from the menu:
- Enter your email address, and password, if requested. Note that this will be your Microsoft account to authenticate you with the PowerBI service.
- Select the workspace you wish to publish to:
Once complete you will see:
- To confirm it has been published correctly, in your browser, go to powerbi.com and log in with your Microsoft account details.
- Navigate to the workspace you have uploaded the report to, and you should be able to see it down the left hand side:
- You can also view the report from here, with the data as it was when published. To ensure the data is always kept up-to-date, see ‘Setting up Auto-Refresh in the Power BI Service’.