ESFA guidance states that the minimum off the job hours value (OTJH) is not expected to change from that agreed and recorded on the first day of learning, except where there has been a change made due to genuine administrative error (e.g. a change to the learner’s programme duration once learning had commenced due to a calculation error post enrolment)
- Compliance Administrator
How to: Edit OTJH
In the examples provided here, the learner had completed their sign-up and signed their original documentation before the edit-flow was used to amend these values.
When reaching the applicant sign-up page of the edit-flow, you will be presented with a check box labelled “Recalculate minimum OTJH” (as shown below). The default state of this checkbox will always be unchecked as there are limited scenarios in which the desired outcome would be to change the minimum OTJH value you calculated and agreed with the learner and employer at enrolment.
The scenarios where you may need the minimum OTJH to be recalculated include:
- A change to the start date or end date due to incorrect data entry at enrolment
- A change to the working hours due to incorrect data entry at enrolment
- Any scenario where you believe the original minimum OTJH has been calculated incorrectly and you wish to “re-set” the value based on the current duration and working hours displayed.
In the scenario below, the learner had a minimum OTJH value of 334 hours calculated at enrolment as shown in the apprenticeship agreement and learning plan documents respectively:
- When you enter the edit-flow choose whether or not to recalculate the minimum OTJH value by selecting the checkbox.
- You will be presented with a confirmation message informing you that this action can not be reversed:
- In this scenario, the learner’s original planned end date has been changed from 09/02/2024 to 09/03/2024 extending the duration by 1 month:
- As the check box has been ticked and the confirmation message approved to continue with the change, the apprenticeship agreement and training plan will display a newly calculated minimum OTJH value based on the amended dates:
As shown this has changed the displayed value from 334 hours to 356 hours. This new value will now become the default value for minimum OTJH in the apprenticeship agreement and learning plan.
Behaviour on subsequent edit-flows:
- If you subsequently return through the edit-flow and DO NOT tick the “recalculate OTJH” check box then the minimum OTJH will remain as the value last calculated (in the example above, this would be 356 hours as this became the new default)
- If you subsequently return through the edit-flow and DO NOT change any values but DO tick the “recalculate OTJH” check box then the minimum OTJH will remain as the value last calculated as there has been no change to the data used (in the example above, this would be 356 hours)
- If you subsequently return through the edit-flow and DO change values AND DO tick the “recalculate OTJH” check box then the minimum OTJH will be recalculated and the documents updated with the new value (This will then become the default value until this step is repeated.)